🦄 Make data magical
We put the fun in fun-ctional programming. Mage is a hybrid framework that combines the best of both worlds: the flexibility of notebooks with the rigor of modular code.
- Extract and synchronize data from 3rd party sources.
- Transform data with real-time and batch pipelines using Python, SQL, and R.
- Load data into your data warehouse or data lake using our pre-built connectors.
- Run, monitor, and orchestrate thousands of pipelines without losing sleep.
Have you met anyone who loves developing in Airflow? That’s why we designed an easy developer experience that you’ll enjoy.
- Simple developer experience: Start developing locally with a single command or launch a dev environment in your cloud using Terraform.
- Language of choice: Write code in Python, SQL, or R in the same pipeline for ultimate flexibility.
- Engineering best practices built-in: Every step in your pipeline is a standalone file with modular code that’s reusable and testable. No more DAGs with spaghetti code 🍝.
- Bring your favorite tools: Write dbt models, use your favorite IDE, track changes with Git, and much much more.
Don’t waste time waiting for your DAGs to finish testing. Get instant feedback from your code every time you run it.
- Interactive code: Immediately see results from your code’s output with an interactive notebook UI.
- Data is a first-class citizen: Each block of code in your pipeline produces data that can be versioned, partitioned, and cataloged for future use.
- Collaborate on cloud: Develop collaboratively on cloud resources, version control with Git, and test pipelines without waiting for an available shared staging environment.
Don’t have a large team dedicated to Airflow? Mage makes it easy for a single developer or small team to scale up and manage thousands of pipelines.
- Fast deploy: Deploy Mage to AWS, GCP, or Azure with only 2 commands using maintained Terraform templates.
- Scaling made simple: Transform very large datasets directly in your data warehouse or through a native integration with Spark.
- Observability: Operationalize your pipelines with built-in monitoring, alerting, and observability through an intuitive UI.
|🎶||Orchestration||Schedule and manage data pipelines with observability.|
|📓||Notebook editor||Interactive Python, SQL, & R editor for coding data pipelines.|
|🏗️||Data integration||Synchronize data from 3rd party sources to your internal destinations.|
|🚰||Streaming||Ingest and transform real-time data.|
|🧱||dbt||Build, run, and manage your dbt models with Mage.|
Every user experience and technical design decision adheres to these principles.
|💻||Easy developer experience||Open-source engine that comes with a custom notebook UI for building data pipelines.|
|🚢||Engineering best practices||Build and deploy data pipelines using modular code. No more writing throwaway code or trying to turn notebooks into scripts.|
|💳||Data as a first-class citizen||Designed from the ground up specifically for running data-intensive workflows.|
|🪐||Scaling made simple||Analyze and process large data quickly for rapid iteration.|
These are the fundamental concepts that Mage uses to operate.
|🏢||Project||Like a repository on GitHub; this is where you write all your code.|
|||Pipeline||Contains references to all the blocks of code you want to run, charts for visualizing data, and organizes the dependency between each block of code.|
|🧱||Block||A file with code that can be executed independently or within a pipeline.|
|🤓||Data product||Every block produces data after it’s been executed. These are called data products in Mage.|
|⏰||Trigger||A set of instructions that determine when or how a pipeline should run.|
|🏃♂️||Run||Stores information about when it was started, its status, when it was completed, any runtime variables used in the execution of the pipeline or block, etc.|
Individually, we’re a mage.
Magic is indistinguishable from advanced technology. A mage is someone who uses magic (aka advanced technology).
Together, we’re Magers!
🧙♂️🧙 Magers (
A group of mages who help each other realize their full potential! Join us on Slack.
✨ This documentation & project are brought to you by the following magical individuals (learn more about contributing here):
Was this page helpful?